Drug, Health & Travel Insurance

Peace of mind is health.

For everyday use and travel coverage, the OMNIMAX plan created by your Fédération offers family doctors a full range of protections.

Insuring your good health

Since 1997, the Régime général d’assurance médicaments considers physicians under the age of 65, who are members in good standing of the FMOQ, as ineligible for the public prescription drug insurance plan. You must subscribe to the prescription drug insurance plan negotiated by the FMOQ for you, your spouse and your dependents if you are not already covered by:

  • Your employer
  • Your spouse’s employer’s plan
  • The plan of another association of which you are a member

The FMOQ has set up a plan offering a choice of 3 options. Option R is available without a medical questionnaire and offers you the minimum coverage required to comply with your obligation to have drug insurance as required by the Act respecting prescription drug insurance.

Options A and B are available subject to a medical questionnaire and offer superior coverage to the public drug insurance plan, as well as including medical-hospital travel insurance with foreign assistance services and trip cancellation coverage.

Click here to view the premium and coverage summary
Espace client Premiums and coverage

Click here to consult the detailed brochure of the Drug, Health, Travel and Dental coverages
Espace client Detailed plan brochure

You wish to find out more? Ask us for advice

1 800 361-5303

Q&A: Health and illness Insurance

Spouses and dependent children

The law on prescription drug insurance provides that if you are established in Quebec and eligible for a private plan, you must cover your spouse and your children.

Spouse, under the law, means any eligible person who resides in Canada and who, in order to be entitled to benefits at the time of the claim, either:

  • Is united to the member through marriage.
  • Has lived with the member in a common-law relationship for at least 12 months and has not been separated for 90 days or more due to the breakdown of their union; or:
  • Lives in a common-law relationship with the member and had a child with them and has not been separated for 90 days or more due to the breakdown of their union.

Dependent child, under the law, means any qualifying single person who resides in Canada, and who:

  • Is under 21 years of age, and over whom the participant or the participant’s spouse exercises parental authority or exercised parental authority until they reached the age of majority.
  • Is 25 years old or less and attends, as a duly registered student, an educational institution full-time and over which the participant or the participant’s spouse would exercise parental authority if they were a minor.
  • Is of legal age and suffers from a functional deficiency referred to in the regulations for the application of the Régime général d’assurance médicaments adopted by the Government of Quebec, a deficiency which must have occurred when the person’s condition corresponded to what is expected in a) or b), in this definition, and it being understood that to be considered as a person with a functional deficiency, the dependent child must reside with the member or spouse of the member who would exercise parental authority over the disabled person if they were a minor. It is understood that the functional deficiency will be defined according to what is provided for in the regulations of application of any provincial law, as the case may be.

Prior authorization drugs

Your insurance plan provides reimbursement for medications. However, some medications must first be authorized by the insurer before being reimbursed under your plan’s terms. To check if a drug requires prior authorization, click here.

Please note that the following medications are not subject to a prior authorization form when you have option 1 or 2 of the FMSQ plan.

  • Aubagio
  • Avonex
  • Betaseron
  • Copaxone
  • Extavia
  • Gleevec
  • Tecfidera

Q&A: Travel Insurance

Do I have to notify my insurer before I travel?

No, you don’t have to notify the insurer before your departure. Your insurance is valid as long as the premium has been paid. However, if your health condition is not stable in the days leading up to your departure, you will need to contact the insurer’s travel assistance service to make sure you are covered during your stay abroad. You’ll find the contact numbers on the back of your insurance card.

I'm planning a sports trip. Am I covered?

Yes, except for sports appearing in the “Exclusion” section of your brochure. You can access your brochure in our Customer Area.

What if I need medical care outside my province of residence?

You must contact the insurer’s travel assistance service immediately. The numbers to contact appear on the back of the insurance card you received when you enrolled.

The assistance service will be able to direct you to a clinic or hospital able to offer you care, as well as open your claim file and, where possible, make arrangements for the payment of medical expenses.

Do I need to contact the insurer before seeing a doctor or going to the hospital?

Yes, absolutely. The travel assistance service will direct you to the appropriate clinic or hospital. Failure to contact the insurer’s travel assistance service (unless it was possible for you to do so before receiving medical treatment) may result in the claim being denied.

The Assistance Service team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions.

Q&A: Trip cancellation insurance

How do I know if my destination is subject to specific recommendations?

To find out which regions or countries are affected by a consular notification, visit the Government of Canada website.

My travel supplier is offering me a credit, but I prefer to be reimbursed by my insurance. Can I refuse the travel credit?

Unfortunately, no. Your insurance contract specifies that a travel credit issued by a travel service provider is considered a refund. You cannot therefore be reimbursed by your trip cancellation insurance for this travel credit, even if that is what you would have preferred.

Can I claim trip cancellation insurance if I can't provide a valid passport or visa?

No. It is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements prior to boarding and to ensure that you meet them. If you do not have a valid passport or visa as required by your travel destination, you cannot make a claim under your trip cancellation insurance. Requirements may vary from country to country, and even from one travel service provider to another. That’s why it’s your responsibility to find out before you buy.

Did you know that...

With Option A and B of your Federation's plan, you benefit from $5 million in travel insurance for medical and hospital care for all your trips of 182 days or less, with no limit on the number of trips abroad!

IMPORTANT - Are you abroad and have a medical emergency?

Please contact the insurer's travel assistance service immediately at the numbers listed on the back of your insurance card.


1 800 465-2928
514 286-8412

Espace client Forms & documentation

Quick, direct and practical! Access all our forms and brochures in one place.

Did you know that your Federation is a shareholder of Sogemec Assurances?

«The Fédération's decision to become a shareholder in Sogemec Assurances stems from its desire to offer competitive, high-quality insurance products that are particularly well adapted to the realities of family doctors and their families. Our members will benefit from cutting-edge products and services, created for doctors and by doctors.»

Dr Marc-André Amyot

— Dr Marc-André Amyot
President of FMOQ

St-Jean-Baptiste holiday
For the St-Jean-Baptiste holiday, we inform you that our offices will be closed on Monday, June 24, 2024.